Friday, June 6, 2008

moar comics


I have not spoken of Polyvore.com before. I have not shared the amount of time I spend on that site weekly. I made this set featuring comic related items for this post. Check out my other sets; I must say I'm proud of them.



Today I finished The Extended Dream of Mr. D by Max. I loved it! I loved it! I feel like the story was really intense and scary because it was a dream, so anything could happen. The bad guy, Scallywax, keeps popping up over and over and you feel like Christopher D. will never escape. Translated from Spanish and put out by Drawn and Quarterly, The Extended Dream... is never confusing. With constantly changing locations, characters shifting into other people, and abstract, impossible situations, it seems like it would be easy to get lost. And though the main character is as confused as we are as to his wild situation, it is simple to comprehend the lucid story. The surreal scenario is artfully shaped through intriguing dialog and a mix of scratchboard and brush styles. I read a some reviews online and they were mixed. Some people said that the story was predictable, but I cannot understand how you'd know what was going to happen!! I totes recommend it.


Accidenly keeping with the dream comic theme, I started Rabid Eye: The Dream Art of Rick Vietch (The Collected Rare Bit Fiends). It is hard for me to read this because each dream is one page. I do not know that I will finish it. The whole intro about dreams and collective consciousness and the stuff that Unitarian guy had to say about Freud or whatever is not anything I am interested in, so Veitch's dreams are meaningless to me in their abbreviated form.

No comments: