Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Volume 1 by Hayao Miyazaki

I couldn't find a picture of the edition I read, which looked pretty different.
This book is by the same fellow who made Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Princess Mononoke.
I read this book yesterday at work. I really enjoyed it. Nausicaä is a total badass and a total mystic sweetheart. She takes over her dying father's post as head of their community's defenses, even though she is so young and a female. She also has "special powers" and skillz allowing her to deftly control her glider and to communicate with animals and plants. The original and weird post-apocalyptic style story was easy to follow and engaging; giant bugs and fungus have overtaken almost all of Earth's surface, stranding humans to live in small communities on the fringes of the encroaching, deadly fungus forests.
In general, I am not into manga at all. I liked a lot of the detail of the fungal foliage and humongous insects, but this one dude consistently looked mentally retarded or like his head was punched in. This was recommended to me by an avid comic reader and I recommend it to you. I look forward to reading the rest of the series, six more novels and a 4 volume "Perfect Collection."






I am on Good Reads if you want to find out what else I am reading, want to read, or have read and what I thought.
Widget_logo

No comments: